Cases reported "Burns"

Filter by keywords:



Filtering documents. Please wait...

11/15. Third-degree burn following use of microwave-heated cryogel pack.

    It is common nursing practice to apply warm soaks to an area where extravasation of intravenous (IV) fluid has occurred. Here we report an adverse outcome due to the use of a microwave-heated, commercially available hot-cold cryogel pack to treat an extravasation of IV fluid in a patient.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 1
keywords = microwave
(Clic here for more details about this article)

12/15. Thermal injury to the upper aerodigestive tract after microwave heating of food.

    Microwave-heated food may cause serious injury if it is not allowed to cool before consumption. We describe a case in which a hypopharyngeal burn occurred following consumption of a microwave-heated potato immediately after cooking.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 1
keywords = microwave
(Clic here for more details about this article)

13/15. Oropharyngeal burns from microwave ovens: case report and review of the literature.

    We present a case of a child suffering oropharyngeal burns consequent on the inappropriate use of a microwave oven. The literature on such burns is reviewed, and the pathophysiology discussed.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 1
keywords = microwave
(Clic here for more details about this article)

14/15. Severe burns resulting from an exploding teat on a bottle of infant formula milk heated in a microwave oven.

    Accidental injury to infants can result from the use of home microwave ovens. The spectrum of injury includes scald burns of the trachea, palate oropharynx and oesophagus due to aspiration and ingestion of foods that have been overheated. There is one previous case report of a child with second-degree burns of 6 per cent of his body area due to explosion of the plastic liner and nipple on a feeding bottle top. We present a case report of an infant who suffered 7 per cent full-thickness burns following explosion of the bottle teat and subsequent splattering with hot milk. He required mid-palmar amputation of his left hand including thumb, index and middle fingers. The full-thickness burns of left cheek and left shoulder were grafted but will result in significant scarring. It is common practice in many homes to heat infant feeds in the microwaves. We suggest that health professionals dealing with children need to be aware of the potential hazards so that appropriate education of parents can take place.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 1.2
keywords = microwave
(Clic here for more details about this article)

15/15. Thermal injury during TUMT.

    A 71-year-old man was treated with transurethral microwave thermotherapy because of symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The treatment session was performed without any abnormal complaints from the patient. Two hours post-treatment the patient felt pain in his penile shaft and noticed a wound. A thorough investigation revealed that the only possible explanation for the injury was a dislocation of the catheter.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 0.2
keywords = microwave
(Clic here for more details about this article)
<- Previous |


Leave a message about 'Burns'


We do not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content in this site. Click here for the full disclaimer.