Cases reported "Retrognathia"

Filter by keywords:



Filtering documents. Please wait...

1/3. Gastric perforation due to the ingestion of a hollow toothpick: report of a case.

    A perforation due to the ingestion of a toothpick is a condition seldom seen in the stomach. We herein describe an 80-year-old woman with a perforation of the stomach due to an ingested hollow toothpick. The toothpick was easily removed during a mini-laparotomy. The site of perforation was closed with absorbable sutures and omentum was used to function as an overlying patch. The postoperative course was uncomplicated. The hollow toothpick functioned as a fistula between the contents of the stomach and the peritoneal cavity. This resulted in a very different clinical picture from that observed in "classical wooden" toothpick injury, where the toothpick is not able to function as a fistula. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first description of a hollow toothpick perforating the stomach. A hollow toothpick perforation must be considered in any patient with symptoms of intestinal perforation, even when there is no history of swallowing toothpicks. Removal of a toothpick and subsequent suturing of the puncture site is a simple and relatively minor surgical procedure, which may have a lower morbidity and mortality as compared to other causes of gastric perforation. A precaution to observe, is the potential danger that one of the members of the operating team might perforate a finger.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 1
keywords = tooth
(Clic here for more details about this article)

2/3. A papular eruption and acute abdominal pain associated with coxsackie A-14 virus.

    A 14-year-old girl who was admitted to hospital with acute abdominal pain developed an erythematous papular eruption which persisted for 4 weeks. Examination of a stool specimen yielded evidence of a coxsackie A-14 virus.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 0.012055024564107
keywords = eruption
(Clic here for more details about this article)

3/3. Sigmoid colon perforation: result of accidental swallowing of a toothpick.

    Acute surgical abdomen is a very serious situation that arises in various medical conditions. Common among them are appendicitis, foreign-body ingestion, and intestinal obstruction or perforation. These complications usually require emergency abdominal surgery. A case of rectal bleeding accompanied by acute surgical abdomen following the accidental ingestion of a toothpick is described in this report.
- - - - - - - - - -
ranking = 0.35714285714286
keywords = tooth
(Clic here for more details about this article)



We do not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content in this site. Click here for the full disclaimer.