Is a CT scan always necessary?

Sherryr

Is a CT scan always necessary?

Post by Sherryr »

My daughter (5.5 years old) had an ear infection almost 2 weeks ago (diagnosed on a Tuesday) and was given antibiotic drops. Six days later, I noticed that behind her ear was very, very red. I took her to the ER and the doctor said she has mastoiditis. He didn't look in her ear and felt it. He prescribed Amoxicillin, 500 mg, 3x/day for ten days. We went back to the hospital 3 days into treatment and the doctor said that the antibiotics had put the brakes on the infection and now she had to continue the meds in order to get rid of the infection. However, everything that I am reading says that she should have a CT scan to check for any damage or how deep the infection is. However, the doctor said that because it was caught early, it shouldn't be a problem. When I asked him how he knew that it was caught early, he said because I brought her in as soon as I saw the red. But I only happened to see the red because I had no idea that this condition existed or even to check behind the ear. The redness could have been there much longer. Should I insist on the CT scan to be sure? How does the doctor know if the mastoiditis is completely gone? Any advice?

Return to “Mastoiditis”