Symptoms I had

Bwilliams

Symptoms I had

Post by Bwilliams »

I was just released from the hospital after staying there a week. I'm seeing a lot of descriptions of chest pain, leg pain, coughing etc. Here's what happened to me. Maybe it will help someone else. I'm a 52 year old male and have never had any health problems.

I broke my foot about 5 weeks prior to all this happening. Don't know if that's what started it or not but I think it did.

I started feeling slightly short of breath on Friday. No chest pain or coughing just feeling like I had chest congestion. Saturday it was a little worse. My wife wanted to take me to the ER Sat night but I still didn't think it was serious. Sunday I had chills and more difficulty breathing but it still felt like nothing more than a bad chest cold. No pain not much coughing. Sunday afternoon I ate some toast and got sick. After throwing up I could not catch my breath no matter how hard I tried. I finally let my wife take me to the ER (we live about 10 min from the hospital). Got sick again on the way and again couldn't catch my breath. By the time we got to the hospital I felt OK again.

Chest x-ray, EKG, and some other test showed no heart attack (what my wife thought was happening) but showed I had blood clots in both lungs. I was given a shot of Lovonax (?) and passed out. Then was given t-PA. Shortly after that I went into Cardiac arrest. My heart was stopped for 4 minutes while I was given CPR. I spent the next 3 days in ICU and a total of a week in the hospital. The Dr told me there was a 30 minute window for my survival when I finally agreed to go to the ER.

If you are experiencing any shortness of breath get it checked out as soon as possible. It could save your life. I was lucky. All the pieces fell into place for me.

Return to “Pulmonary Embolism”