rbf

ratladyuk

rbf

Post by ratladyuk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Rat-bite Fever (streptobacillus moniliformis) is incredibly rare and you are very unlikely to become infected from the bite of a pet rat. However I've had Rat-bite Fever and ended up in hospital because it wasn't treated quickly. They suspected bacterial meningitis and had a tough time diagnosing the problem. I was put on mega antibiotics and got through it. Thankfully.
This infection is very, VERY rare, and virtually all rats carry it in their mouths. It's good bacteria to them. It's usually the very young, or old, or those with lowered immunity that contract this. I had been ill for some time and my rat just licked my teeth! I can't believe I let her do that! It doesn't have to be a bite. She'd done that many, many times before but at the ONE moment she did it, that ONE moment my body didn't check it, that was the moment. I've been bitten and licked many, many times and I was unlucky. So PLEASE don't panic about it. if you have any concerns - a HIGH fever, shivers, and limb pains (my arms and legs were agony and I couldn't lift them!) go to a doctor and get antibiotics. Augmentin or Penicillin (I think) Had my doctor given me treatment right away, I wouldn't have nearly died. Don't punish the rat! Keep cleanliness up, wash hands, don't let them lick your mouth, clean rat bites, and keep healthy!
Typical they call it RAT-bite Fever. Lots of other animals carry the bacillus but rats get the blame.

ratladyuk

Re: rbf

Post by ratladyuk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 am

Incidentally, I still rescue rats. I don't know anyone who has had RBF, neither did my doctor, nor the hospital staff. That's how rare it is.
Rats are still far cleaner than cats or dogs.
I adore them!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 am.

Return to “Rat-Bite Fever”