Congenital scoliosis

dlubrano

Congenital scoliosis

Post by dlubrano »

Fri, 08/17/2012 - 1:08pm
dlubrano
Congenital scolisis
thanks for letting me in this forum. When I was 12 years old it was determined that I have congentialnscolisis. The T2 & T 3 are fused together causing the problem. The Dr. at that time explained to my parents there was nothing to do but have ne x rayed every 6 months untill I was 18. This is what was dome. No changes in the curve occurrd during those 6 years. The Dr. Did tell my parents not to allow me to play tackle football in high school.
At the age of 35 I deceided to join the US ARMY. I passed all the physical exams put through by the ARMY. I went throug boot camp and my job training with not a single problem , no pain no limitations.. I'm still a member of the ARNY reserves.
I recently applied for a firefighter job, I was given a interview then sent on a physc test no problems, then I was sent to a walk in clinic for a physical while looking at my chest x ray the Dr. Noticedy scoliosis and sent the x rays to a radiologist to be read. The radiologist gave his report the the Dr. Stating I had a 54 degree of curve with the Cobb angle. The Dr. Would not give me the ok to be a fireman. TheDr. At no time did not perform a range of motion check or a strenth test reflex just said I was a no go. I got copies of my first MRI and had them compared with the new x rays and had a private Nuro surgeon compare them . His reort says there has been no changes and my back and neck is just as stable as some one with a normal spine. Can some one tell me why I can perform my duties as a solider but not be allowed to become a fireman.
Do I have a right to take this to another level or fight the Dr. Decision to reject me.
Any answer will be appreciated
Thanks a very dejected young man

Return to “Scoliosis”