FAQ - Erysipelas
(Powered by Yahoo! Answers)

What country did Erysipelas come from?

I'm doing a research paper on Erysipelas in people and swine. If anyone knows where it started or where it is primarily located, it would be a great help. Thanks in advance! =D

  (+ info)

Is there are permanent cure for erysipelas?

A relative has had three bouts of eysipelas so far this year so standard antibiotic treatment is not working.

?  (+ info)

Does every person who has Cellulitis and/or Erysipelas always need to be treated with an antibiotic regimen?

  (+ info)

My grandfather had erysipelas.(sp) What is it?

He died from a heart attack, and I'm told that he was ill prior with this blood disease. (He died in 1960)


Erysipelas is a type of cellulitis (skin infection) generally caused by group A streptococci.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Erysipelas may affect both children and adults. The risk factors associated with this infection include local trauma (break in the skin), skin ulceration, and impaired venous or lymphatic drainage.

In the past, the face was most commonly involved yet now accounts for only up to 20% of cases. The lower extremities (legs) are affected in up to 80% of cases.


* An erysipelas skin lesion typically has a raised border that is sharply demarcated from normal skin. The underlying skin is painful, intensely red, hardened (indurated), swollen, and warm.
* Facial erysipelas lesions classically involve the cheeks and the bridge of the nose.
* Blisters may develop over the skin lesion.
* Fever and shaking chills are common.

Signs and tests

The diagnosis of erysipelas is based on the characteristic appearance of the skin lesion. Skin biopsies are usually not needed. Blood cultures are rarely positive (up to 5% of the time).

The cornerstone of therapy is treatment with antibiotics such as penicillin, which are active against streptococci. Depending on the severity, intravenous antibiotics may be used. In less severe cases, oral antibiotics may be sufficient. In individuals who have recurrent erysipelas, long-term antibiotics may be required.
Expectations (prognosis)

If appropriate antibiotic therapy is given early, the outcome is favorable. Skin changes may take up to a few weeks to normalize and peeling is common.

In some patients, streptococci may travel to the blood (bacteremia) and additional sites may be involved such as heart valves, joints, and bones.

* If bacteremia is present, infection may spread to other areas such as joints, bones, and heart valves.
* Septic shock
* Recurrence of infection

Calling your health care provider

Call your health care provider if you have a skin lesion that has features of erysipelas  (+ info)

What is your opinion on the ethics of cancer treatments?

From the first cancer treatments by William Coley of injecting strep throat bacteria into a patient's body (erysipelas) to modern day treatments with chemotherapy and radiotherapy, what is your opinion on the ethics of these treatments, and which one do you think is the most effective?

i think as long as it is explained to the patient, it is their choice to choose whatever treatment they and their doctor think is the best.

my dad had leukemia and underwent many experimental drugs that were not fda approved.  (+ info)

I have erysipelas and want to redye my hair...?

I've never had any problems before with dying my hair, ie no reactions or whatever. Last week my skin flared up and i was diagnosed with erysipelas, a skin condition type thing but i really need to redye my hair.
I checked the packet of the dye and it only says not to dye if you have an irritated or damage scalp and ...well, i don't...it's just my face that is still sore....so i'm thinking i should be ok if i put vaseline along my hairlines and etc. The rash is only on my ears and lower face so i really wanna dye it...

But i don't wanna make my face any sorer coz i have a fancy do im attending on saturday and it's only beginning to heal now.

Any advice or suggestions? =[

I did a little research on erysipelas and if it is only on your face, I think you might be alright. If it is on your scalp or anywhere the dye would reach, I would recommend not doing it.

If you decide to do it because it is only on your face, I would definitely line your entire face with vaseline, and then even put a piece of cotton (or bathroom tissue) stuck to it, like they do when it is professionally done. This way you have no chance of the liquid contacting the erysipelas.

Also, keep a wet washcloth nearby in case of an accidental splash or drip to wipe it off immediately.

I would just say use caution and be extremely careful. Good luck and I hope your hair looks great afterwards.  (+ info)

how does erysipelas spread?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erysipelas  (+ info)

If an oral abscess was lanced, and left untreated, could the resultant infection cause endocarditis?

A death certificate, dated 1920, staes cause of death to be 'endocarditis resulting from erysipelas'
Three days prior, an oral abscess is lanced.
Would the resultant infection cause erysipelas?
Would the resultant infection cause endocarditis?

Standard treatment for acute staph infection in 1920 was lancing the abscess and hoping the infection healed after draining out the pus. Sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't. In a very famous and highly publicized similar situation President Calvin Coolidge's son died in the White House from a lanced toe infected with staph aureus in 1924. If the infection didn't come out when the abscess was lanced, the infection would turn inward causing sepsis and death. I think that is what happened in the death certificate you mention. The person died from massive sepsis with the endocarditis being a likely final cause of death.  (+ info)

add on from the last....?

We changed his formula to soy milk advised by Dr.Stammler to add a small amount of cereal to the soy milk. Upon this doctor's visit, The Doctor also explained Pyloric Stenosis (which: is a condition that can cause your baby to vomit forcefully and often and may cause other problems such as dehydration and salt and fluid imbalances). Dr.Stammler said, if he worsens or persists then he will need an abdominal ultrasound.

ON NOV. 27, 2008, we took Noah to the Emergency Room at Lodi memorial hospital at 12:45pm because his gums started bleeding. To my horror the ER did nothing, Dr. Ali advised us to cut his nails and sent us home.

Noah is now just shy of 2 days of being 2 months old. We have been back and forth from several doctors' appointments and a trip to the ER with absolutely no resolution as to what is going on with our son's constant medical issues.

On (Dec. 4, 2008) we took Noah to get his first shots, he seemed to take it well. However during the visit, I asked Dr. Stammler about Noah bruising so easily. I notice the bruising mostly after he wakes up and also after picking him up.

After I reported my concerns, Doctor Stammler sent us to the Healthcare Clinical Laboratories to get a blood tests for Noah.

Two ladies' came in by the names of Courtney and Patty to draw the blood form Noah, why it took two nurses to draw the blood from, I do not understand. They had me hold my son upward in my lap with my hands on his chest, while they looked for a vein. Courtney then asked me to squeeze him tighter; I just sat there and held him, (Courtney) then put her hand on mine and pushed. My son was screaming so bad I then turned and blew into his mouth so he could take a breath. They poked him 2-3 times in his left arm, 1-2 times in his right arm and 1 in each hand. They got a little blood, then asked me to come back on Monday or Tuesday Dec.8th or Dec.9th. I then came back with my friend Brianna on Monday the 8th, again it was two ladies' by the name of Courtney and Jennifer, and one was the same nurse from the appointment on Dec. 4th, the other nurse was one I haven't seen before. At first they were going to try to take blood while he was in his car seat. But, the nurse from the last time we came in, picked him up and held him, she held his left upper arm above his elbow while the other held below his elbow. They searched for a vein and they just poked him, they shook the needle around in his arm and he screamed while she held him still. They then poked him in his left hand and finally got blood. For the next 2 days or so, Noah did not move his arm in the mornings, he just kept it still. I called Doctor Stammler to make another Appointment as soon as possible, but then Noah started moving his arm that night, so I didn't take him.

On Dec. 13TH, we brought Noah back to the Emergency Room at Lodi Memorial hospital at 2:38am. Noah had been crying, falling asleep and waking up off and on. The last time Noah woke up he cried a little, I saw a little swelling on his left side of his face, it looked as if something was going from his forehead down his whole left side. I immediately got him ready and headed for the ER. As we were leaving, we noticed under his left eye it started to bruise. While we were in the ER, I was looking at him, noticed his arm swollen and his hand bruising as if it wasn't getting circulation. I told the nurse to get the doctor, she said she would and she'd note my concern. The Doctor never came, therefore he never saw Noah's hand, but a nurse came in to gave Noah 2 shots to take the swelling down. They said it was ERYSIPELAS (WHICH IS A SUDDEN FORM OF CELLUITIS.) I didn't believe it is Erysipelas, but I know there is something wrong.

They asked us to come back the next evening, we did on Dec.13th. They gave him two more shots then called the police to file a CPS report for suspected child-abuse, but the claim was without warrant. CPS did not take custody at this time.

On Dec.18TH, I took Noah to a checkup because Dr. Stammler was out and I couldn't get one sooner. So Doctor Danni Basset checked Noah; she said he was fine and healthy. She checked his blood tests and it said his platelets were HIGH, and his white blood count was LOW. She told me Noah was ok, so I went home. Noah and I played for a bit, then I noticed he had diarrhea real bad so I gave him a bath; he got real tired, so I dressed him and put him down for a nap. Aaron came home for lunch , Noah woke up, Aaron then picked him up, changed him and brought him out to me. I made Noah a bottle, but Aaron noticed bruising on the inside of his right hand, Noah had it on his left hand before too.

I called Dr. Dannie, she sent me to a pediatrician by the name of Doctor Ishi. When I met with HIM on Dec.18th, Dr. Ishi stated, Noah was fine and healthy and that he may have sucked on his hand which may have left the marks on his hand, WHICH made no sens

This bruising is just not normal and is not just caused by the air something is going on. Sounds like he is losing circulation and that is causing the blue skin it's probably not a bruise. Being that both of his parents have health problems then they should have taken lots more tests. The blood is what should have tipped them off apparently Noah is having a poor circulation problem so that would cause the blood to not move like someone with normal circulation. What I am wondering is why the hell did you keep going to this fly by night doctor? By the second time around I would have gone to a different hospital with different doctors, why didn't you demand they do something for you son? They knew they could walk all over you. After so many unexplained trips to the emergency room the hospital begins to become suspicious and that is why they called CPS. The child needs to see a better doctor than this Dr. Stammler and Dannie. CPS needs to know this story I suggest printing this up and sending it to whom ever will listen and it will be many.  (+ info)

Leave a message about 'Erysipelas'

We do not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content in this site. Click here for the full disclaimer.