FAQ - Genetic Diseases, Y-Linked
(Powered by Yahoo! Answers)

Smoking has been linked to certain eye diseases?

Would you give up the ciggies to save your sight?

I knew already and I've stopped smoking.  (+ info)

Adopting because I may have a gentically linked disease?

I want to have my own family someday and I am in my early twenties but I have multiple sclerosis and studies say it could be genetically linked and I may pass on the risk to my biological children. But of course, there's also the chance the adpoted child could also have genetic diseases which we don't even know about at all from it's family tree. What are your thoughts?

My cousin is adopted and has MS she found out while pregnant and I know how hard this is I wouldn't want to pass it along either...

I think you have to make your decisions. If you would want to adopt in order to Spare a child from the possibility of MS and didn't have any problem adopting a child that had the possibility of having MS that is one choice.

But, if you wanted to adopt a child because you wouldn't want a child with a disability then I would suggest taking the odds and having a baby because that is a whole different agenda.  (+ info)

What is the probability that a carrier and a person who has a sex-linked genetic disorder will have a son with

[cont..] the disorder? A daughter? How does the punnett square prove this?

8th grade science

seems it would be 50/50 to 25/75. draw it out... the carrier has 1 of the gene, the one who has the gene would have 2... You have to draw out the square and put the 1's in each box... a 1 for the carrier, and 2 1's in the square. Pretty much, the offspring of these 2 people would have the disorder.  (+ info)

Cri-Du-Chat syndrome a sex-linked, dominant or recessive genetic disease?

yes the topic link thing says it all..

If it's possible can anyone kindly tell me or give me information on whether Cri-Du-Chat syndrome is a sex-linked, dominant or a recessive genetic disease?

thank you very much for everyone's kindness and time xD

None of the above. It involves a deletion (missing information) on the short arm of chromosome 5, and is generally a genetic accident. Have a look at the following sites. Good luck with your homework!  (+ info)

Can anyone tell me some sex-linked diseases that normally occur in males and some that occur in females?

It'd be even better if you could show me a website posting both.

Human Papiloma Virus (unsure of spelling of middle word)
Also called HPV.
causes genital warts, but in women also causes cervical cancer  (+ info)

what type of GENETIC disease is dwarfism? Is Dwarfism sex linked chromosomal numbered or autosomal disease?

There are more than 200 different conditions that can cause dwarfism. A single type, called achondroplasia, causes about 70 percent of all dwarfism. Achondroplasia is a genetic condition that affects about 1 in 25,000 people. It makes your arms and legs short in comparison to your head and trunk. Other genetic conditions, kidney disease and problems with metabolism or hormones can also cause short stature. Achondroplasia is caused by a mutation in a gene (called fibroblast growth factor receptor 3) that is located on chromosome 4 (5, 6). This gene normally helps regulate the rate of growth in long bones. Mutations in this gene result in severely limited bone growth. In a small number of cases, a child inherits achondroplasia from a parent who also has the condition. If one parent has the condition and the other does not, there is a 50 percent chance that their child will be affected. If both parents have achondroplasia, there is - A 50 percent chance that the child will inherit the condition - A 25 percent chance that the child will not have it and a 25 percent chance that the child will inherit one abnormal gene from each parent and have severe skeletal abnormalities that lead to early death. When both parents have achondroplasia, providers generally offer them prenatal tests to diagnose or rule out the fatal form of the disease. A child who does not inherit the condition cannot pass it on to his or her own children.


The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

Hope this helps
matador 89
  (+ info)

Why is oral hygiene linked to more serious diseases such as heart and types of cancer?

Bacteria that live in the mouth can release toxins that are reputed to move, via nerve connections or blood vessels, I can't remember which, to other parts of the body. The heart and brain are targets that I have heard ot.
If mouth hygiene is bad, then there will be more, and worse, bacteria thus more and worse toxins.
Hope this helps.  (+ info)

help alternative medicine paractitioners,can genetic diseases be cured? ?

my wife has x-linked disease. she has two sons that have leukodystrophy while daughters are all rite though they may be carriers.

can my wife be cured, can she have normal sons without any disease. plz help and suggest some medicines as well

no ,  (+ info)

What are the diseases linked to a high sugar intake?

obesity,diabetes  (+ info)

What type of genetic disease is dwarfism? Is it sex linked, chromosomal number or autosomal disease. Thanks?

Dwarfism (dwo[ʀ]fiz'm IPA: /ˈdwɔəɹˌfɪzəm/) is a medical condition in humans characterized by extreme small size.[1] The most widely accepted definition of a dwarf is a person with an adult height of less than 4 feet 10 inches (147cm). In older popular and medical usage, any type of marked human smallness could also be termed dwarfism. People who are affected by dwarfism are often referred to as "little people".[2]

Dwarfism can be caused by more than 200 different medical conditions. The most common cause of dwarfism is achondroplasia, a bone growth disorder responsible for 70% of dwarfism cases.[3] Conditions in humans characterized by disproportional body parts are typically caused by one or more genetic disorders in bone or cartilage development. Forms of extreme shortness in humans characterized by proportional body parts usually have a hormonal or nutritional cause such as growth hormone deficiency, once known as "pituitary dwarfism".[2]

  (+ info)

1  2  3  4  5  

Leave a message about 'Genetic Diseases, Y-Linked'

We do not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content in this site. Click here for the full disclaimer.