FAQ - Mushroom Poisoning
(Powered by Yahoo! Answers)

Can you do anything to develop immunity to mushroom poisoning?

Mushroom poisoning is supposed to be one of the worst ways to die. I don't eat wild mushrooms because of that. But could someone do something to develop immunity to mushroom poisoning so they can eat whatever mushroom they felt like eating?

You could potentially develop an immunity to the poison in mushrooms, but it isn't something I would recommend anyone doing. Most people can develop immunities to poisons if they are introduced to minute amounts and slowly increase the amount of toxin ingested. I'd imagine you would still experience some reaction to the poison, even if you lessen their effects, but unless you have some really valid reason for this, I would caution against trying it.  (+ info)

Maybe mushroom poisoning?

On Wednesday, I fixed steak and mushrooms for dinner. I bought both items at the supermarket. I picked up the raw steak with my hand, put it on the skillet, used that same hand to pick up mushrooms out of the jar and ate them, without washing my hand. I know that was a stupid mistake. On Thursday morning, I woke up nauseated and weak. It's now Saturday evening, it's been 72 hours, I still have the nausea, a low grade fever (99.8), and diarrhea. I feel horrible. So basically, I have 3 questions:
1. Is it possible to get mushroom poisoning from a jar of mushrooms bought at a supermarket?
2. What else could be wrong with me?
3. Should I go to the ER?


It is very unlikely there was anything wrong with the mushrooms. However if you have some left in the jar don't throw them out. They could be checked for any contamination. The problem was likely caused by the meat. As you say. not smart to touch it and not wash. If you are not better by morning I would definitely go to the ER.  (+ info)

What mushrooms cause food poisoning? Do I need to go to the emergency room?

I ate chinese food with mushrooms, and then choclate pudding for dessert nearly about an hour ago, and I'm so sick! I have nausea, diarhea, and stomache upset and abdominal cramping. Should I go to the emergency room?
Will it affect my baby in any way? I have to nurse my child. Will this bacteria that's obviously making me sick, get in my breastmilk too??

Contrary to one answer, there are a number of different toxins in a variety of species and forms of fungi. Coprine from the Coprinus family reacts swiftly and quite frighteningly if consumed with alcohol. The chemical is similar to the prescription drug Antabuse given alcoholics. The effects are flushing, redness,metallic taste in mouth, ringing of ears and general tingling of the extremities. It passes however, and if you re confident that is what happened it does not require hospitalisation, nor many other forms of mushroom poisoning that offer various levels of discomfort.

Orellinine ( from Cortinarius sps) and the amanitins (with a few LBMs) are deadly however, and those can take up to 24 hours before effects are felt , but as little as 8. Unfortunately much of the damage has already been done at that point.

If you got your mushrooms from a commercial Chinese restaurant, they are likely to be commercially grown shiitake, noritake, matsutake, "cloud ears" (Auricularia sp.) and thereby well ID-ed. Your second report says something about bacteria. That means food poisoning alone. Interestingly, its likely that the majority of poisonings from wild species with some decay setting in. Try to eat only the freshest, firmest ones you see. If you wouldn't eat it out of your fridge. Nature gives it no advantage in the decay section.  (+ info)

Will old mushrooms give me food poisoning?

There are some mushy mushrooms in my refrigerator. I ate one raw, trying it, and it was gross. I should have spit it out but didn't. Will I get food poisoning?

You could :\
I dont mean to worry you but they will probrobly give you some bad poo and you could get a belly ache or at the worst, throw up.

I hope your okay! I really do!  (+ info)

Where can i get a red super mario mushroom belt buckle?

I have looked everywhere (ebay does not have one) and all i can find is the death poison mushroom. i want a red super mushroom buckle.

omg!! my boyfriend got his at hot topic. there was also a green one. check the store or website. i live in austin tho, so we have some pretty wacky stuff around here. lol. maybe order froma texas store??  (+ info)

Which one of these foods would you most likely get food poisoning from?

Homeade bean dip made with canned northern whites, salt, pepper, tomatos and olive oil

artichoke dip made with mayonaisse, artichokes, cheese, mushrooms and spinach

pita crisps

spice cake
and if everyone the the food that was conatminated would that make EVERYONE get the food poisoning?

Either really, Depends on time and temperature abuse, how long it sat out. Beans have the protiens that go bad and Mayo is time and temp. sensitive.Everyones immune system is different so not everyone will get sick the same.  (+ info)

Have you ever picked a mushroom and eat it just like that?

I did it once but it didn't give me any harmful effect. I later discovered that picking mushrooms is a very dangerous job and requires a lot of experience and expertise. You'll never know if the mushrooms have poison or not. Well, I guess I was lucky.

your right you need to know what you can eat and what you cant. And yes I have picked and ate them just like that. The best one's were from under a cow pie!  (+ info)

How do I cut portabella mushroom caps?

I bought some portabella mushroom caps and am planning on making a mushroom rice pilaf with them. But, I've never really cooked with mushrooms before. I'm not sure how to cut/clean the mushroom cap...

Do I keep the stub of a stem?
What about the dark fan-things on the underside of the cap? Do I need to cut those out, or should I just dice up the whole cap, and include everything?

Also, if you have any important experience tips on mushroom pilaf I should know, I'd appreciate the advice...

Rinse them off. Don't scrub too hard. Leave about an inch of the stem. Don't bother removing the spines (fans). Then dice them whatever size you like. They will shrink when they are cooked.

I like to do a mushroom risotto. Sautee the mushrooms in some olive oil and butter until they are soft. Add some broth or stock (white wine if you're old enough) and let it cook down. Then add them to your rice/pilaf or risotto. Yummy.  (+ info)

What is the best type of mushroom to use in a stuffed mushroom recipe?

I'm going to make some cheese stuffed mushrooms. What would the best type of mushroom be for someone who has never done this before?

  (+ info)

How do you make and serve mushroom gravy?

I used to work with someone whose grandmother (who is from Latvia) made really good mushroom gravy that she served over noodles. I have tried, but I usually end up with bland gravy and soggy mushrooms. How do you make mushroom gravy and how do you serve it?
I forgot to say--canned gravy and powdered mixes are not cool in my house. It's cool if you use them, but I can't. Great answers so far, thank you all.

Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy:

1 batch

2 1/3 cups vegetable stock
5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Combine 1/3 cup stock and mushrooms in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute mushrooms 7-8 minutes or until they begin to turn brown and liquid has almost evaporated.
Remove from heat and set aside. Combine 1/4 cup stock and flour in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
Shake vigorously.
Combine with remaining stock in a heavy saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes, whisking frequently, until mixture begins to thicken.
Add sauteed mushrooms and simmer until just heated throughout. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Good luck.  (+ info)

1  2  3  4  5  

Leave a message about 'Mushroom Poisoning'

We do not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content in this site. Click here for the full disclaimer.