FAQ - Nevus, Spindle Cell
(Powered by Yahoo! Answers)

How far should you keep your cell phone from your body when sleeping because of cell phone radiation?

When you are sleeping, how far should your cell phone be from your body? I am concerned about getting cancer so what is a good distance to keep it from my body?

"Cell phone radiation" does not induce cancer. If you get a lot of phone calls while you are asleep, it might be practical to place it on the bedside table.  (+ info)

What's the relationship between sickle cell disease and the sickle cell disease?

Also, why does a fever accompany the sickle cell disease?
Sorry, the title of the question should be What's the relationship between sickle cell disease and gallstones. :) thanks.

  (+ info)

What would happen to a cell if it continued to grow unchecked?

Generally, what does a cell do before it reaches this point?

Do you know?

it is called cancer  (+ info)

What is the oldest age you should be without a cell phone?

Im 16, and my parents STILL won't let me get a cell phone. How old do you think you should be when you definatley should get a cell phone

How old were you when you got a cell phone?

There's no maximum age. But as long as you live under your parents roof they can make that decision.

Your parents have their reasons and perhaps you can work something out with them. But I find it very typical of this generation to write something like "STILL" - as in how dare your parents not let you get a cell phone right now? Like it's coming to you and you should get one right away? Trust me kid, your parents could be doing a lot worse.

I got my first cell phone at 16 or 17. I paid for it myself and I agreed with my parents on a wide set of rules for using it. (ie. off during school hours)  (+ info)

What causes your white blood cell count to be low?

I went to the doctor a couple years ago for a physical and they said that african americans typically have a lower white blood cell count and that I should not worry. I am still curious as to why.

you should know that there is a range for the number of WBCs (8000 -12000) in this range for all people it is normal  (+ info)

How can I donate my wisdom teeth to stem cell research?

I am really interested in stem cell research and what it does and I may have my wisdom teeth pulled. To help, I want to donate my wisdom teeth which in Japan have been found to have stem cells. I've tried google and people have asked the same question but I can't figure out how to donate. Thanks!

Ask your dentist?

Get in touch with geneticist at a university?  (+ info)

What are the chances of my babies having sickle cell?

Back in 96' my grandfather died from sickle cell anemia,a genetic disease that is only found in the genes of African American people. When my mom found out she was pregnant with me, she was very scared that I would be sick because my dad's side carried the trait or gene. Luckily I am fine but I worry if I will carry the trait and my kids might have sickle cell since the trait can skip generations. I don't have any kids yet but I always wondered about if the chances of my child having it would be lessened if I had children with somebody outside of my race.
And please spare me the " you're just looking for a reason to marry outside of your race" or anything else ridiculous or rude. I simply asked a question. If you feel you can not answer it intelligently, then keep it moving please. In other words, skip this question.

Trying to remember my biology here (keep in mind it's been a couple years since I took it).

Everybody has two chromosomes for each gene (or vice versa, can't remember which). If your grandpa had it, your dad would at least be a carrier, since he would have gotten 1 sickle chrom. from his dad. If your dad didn't have it, I would say he is just a carrier (1 sickle chrom. & 1 non-sickle chrom.). It's really hard to say whether you're a carrier or not without knowing your mom's genes, but I'll give it a shot:

If your mom had sickle cell, you have 50% chance of getting sickle cell, and 50% chance of being a carrier.

If your mom was a carrier, you have 25% chance of getting sickle cell, 50% chance of being a carrier, and 25% chance of having no sickle cell chromosomes.

If you mom had no sickle chrom's, you have 50% chance of being a carrier, and 50% chance of not having sickle chrom's.

I hope you can find out your mom's genes and identify with one of the scenarios. Now, for the odds that your kids will have sickle (I'll try to cover all scenarios of you and your spouse):

Both parents sickle: kids will be sickle as well.
1 sickle + 1 carrier: 50% chance sickle, 50% chance carrier.
1 sickle + 1 non: 50% carrier, 50% non.
1 carrier + 1 carrier: 25% sickle, 50% carrier, 25% non.
1 carrier + 1 non: 50% carrier, 50% non.
1 non + 1 non: 100% non.

There, I think I got all of those probabilities right. I hope you can find your answer somewhere in there, LOL. Now watch, 30 people will have already answered in the time it took me to type that.

Edit: sorry, I thought it was your maternal grandpa that had it. I think it switched all of the gender pronouns, LOL.  (+ info)

How do I donate eggs to stem cell research?

I would like to donate my eggs to stem cell research because I can't donate eggs to fertility clinics. Where can I do this? I looked on Google but couldn't find anything.

You cant. Its embryos that are donated, not eggs. And embryos used in embryonic stem cell research can only be embryos that were originally created for use in IVF, but were left over and unused.

You CAN sign up for the bone marrow registry, or donate cord blood if you are preg. And in that way, you would be contributing to adult stem cell research. If you are planning on going through IVF you can donate the left over embryos.

You could probably donate your eggs privately to someone looking to go through IVF who needs donor eggs.  (+ info)

From what age can kids start using cell phones without getting any brain problems?

I heard that kids can get brain cancer if they use cell phones so, from what age is it safe for kids to use them?

That's a great question. I found an interesting article that you might want to read.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mobile-phone-use-raises-childrens-risk-of-brain-cancer-fivefold-937005.html  (+ info)

How did sickle cell anemia form because of Malaria?

I'm doing a presentation on sickle cell anemia and I read that it started to protect the red blood cell against malaria. I need to describe how it protects the person from malaria. Can anyone make it in simple terms for me? Im looking online and all i can find is information about malaria and a lot of medical terms that i don't understand.

FLAWDA::BABii - YES, a person with sickle cell anemia (SCA) does provide some protection against getting malaria. Only in some individuals do malaria episodes progress to severe life-threatening disease, while in the majority the episodes are self-limiting. This is partly because of host genetic factors such as the sickle cell gene.

The sickle cell gene is caused by a single amino acid mutation. Inheritance of this mutated gene from both parents leads to sickle cell disease and people with this disease have shorter life expectancy. On the contrary, individuals who are carriers for the sickle cell disease (with one sickle gene and one normal hemoglobin gene, also known as sickle cell trait) have some protective advantage against malaria. As a result, the frequencies of sickle cell carriers are high in malaria-endemic areas.

Most early studies of the connection between sickle cell trait and malaria allowed us to investigate this connection. The sickle cell trait provides 60% protection against overall mortality. Most of this protection occurs between 2-16 months of life, before the onset of clinical immunity in areas with intense transmission of malaria.  (+ info)

1  2  3  4  5  

Leave a message about 'Nevus, Spindle Cell'

We do not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content in this site. Click here for the full disclaimer.