• Children over 1 year old and between 20 and 40 pounds can ride in a
child car seat facing forward.
• Children between 40 and 80 pounds, often 4 to 8 years old, can ride in
booster seats, which make the lap and shoulder belts fit correctly.
• Most children over 8 years old or 4 feet, 9 inches tall can fit correctly in a
lap and shoulder seat belt.
Car Seat Safety Tips
• Not all car seats fit in all vehicles. When installed correctly, the car seat
should not move more than one inch from side to side.
• Attend a car seat safety check in your community. These may be offered
by your local health department.
• Keep harness straps snug and fasten the harness clip at armpit level.
Harness straps should be at or below the shoulder level.