How to Use an Insulin Pen
Select the Site for Injection
• Sites which can be used are:
─ Back of upper arms
─ Abdomen (around navel)
─ Front and side area of thighs
─ Back above waist
• Stay 1 inch away from previous
• Stay 2 inches away from your navel
Do not use sites that are bruised,
tender or swollen.
Giving Your Insulin
1. Clean the skin with an alcohol pad. Let the
alcohol air dry.
2. Take the cover off the pen. You can see the
insulin in the pen.
3. If you are using a cloudy insulin, gently roll
the pen between your hands to mix the insulin.