• The day before your test, drink plenty of liquids.
• Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight before the
The Morning of Your Test
You need to clear the stool from your bowel before this test. Use the enema
2 hours before your test.
To use the enema:
1. Shake the bottle.
2. Remove the orange plastic cover on the tip of the bottle.
3. Lie on your left side with your right knee bent and your arms relaxed.
4. Gently put the bottle tip into your rectum. Push as if you are having a
bowel movement. This will relax the muscles so that the tip goes in
5. Stop pushing and take slow, deep breaths.
6. Squeeze the bottle until most of the liquid is in your rectum.
7. Remove the tip from your rectum. Lie on you left side and squeeze your
buttocks to hold the liquid in your rectum.
8. You will have a strong urge to have a bowel movement in about 5
minutes. Hold the liquid in as long as you can.
9. Use the toilet.
10. Wash your hands with soap and water.
During the Test
• You will wear a hospital gown.
• An IV (intravenous) is put in a vein in your arm.
• You lie on an x-ray table. You need to be still during the x-rays.
• You are given dye in your IV line. The dye lets your kidneys and bladder
show on the x-rays. You may get a metal taste in your mouth or a warm
feeling in your body when the dye is given. Tell the staff if you have any
• The dye moves to your kidneys and bladder.
• You may be helped to the toilet to empty your bladder. The dye is clear,
so you should not see a color change in your urine.
X-rays are taken. You may need to wait while your x-rays are checked.