After the Test
• Medicines given during the test will make you sleepy. You will need to
have an adult family member or friend take you home for your safety.
You will need to lie down in the car.
• Lie in bed with your head up for the next 6-8 hours.
• Drink plenty of liquids to avoid a headache.
• For the next 24 hours:
─ An adult family member or friend should stay with you
─ Do not drive
• Test results are sent to your doctor. Your doctor will share the results
Call your doctor right away if you:
• Have a severe headache
• Feel numb
• Lose feeling in your fingers or toes
• Are less alert or confused
• Have a seizure or convulsions
• Feel weak
Also call your doctor if your needle site:
• Feels warm or gets red
• Has bleeding that will not stop
• Leaks clear fluid
Talk to your doctor or nurse if you have any questions or concerns.
2/2006. Developed through a partnership of The Ohio State University Medical Center, Mount Carmel
Health and OhioHealth, Columbus, Ohio. Available for use as a public service without copyright
restrictions at www.healthinfotranslations.com.