Preparing for Your Surgery
There are some things you will need to do to get ready for your surgery.
• Before surgery, you may be scheduled for some tests such as:
─ Physical exam
─ Blood tests
─ Chest x-ray
• Tell your doctor what medicines you are taking including prescriptions,
over the counter medicines, vitamins and herbs.
• Your doctor may tell you to stop taking some medicines before your
• Ask your doctor if you should take any of your medicines the morning of
• If you have any allergies to medicines, foods or other things, tell the staff.
• Call your doctor before surgery if you have an infection or other illness.
• Plan to have an adult family member or friend take you home when your
doctor discharges you. It is not safe for you to drive or leave alone.
The Day Before Surgery
• If you are a smoker, do not smoke for at least 24 hours before your
• Do not eat or drink anything after midnight before your surgery.
This includes water, gum and candy.
• Your doctor may need you to clean out your bowel before your surgery.
Follow these steps if checked:
Take a laxative as ordered by your doctor the day before surgery.
For the evening meal the night before surgery, drink only clear
liquids. These include:
─ Clear broth or bouillon
─ Clear fruit juices without pulp such as apple, white grape and
─ Clear drinks such as lemon-lime soda, Kool-aid or sport drinks
─ Coffee or tea without milk or nondairy creamer
─ Jello or popsicles